Ferroli Optima 701. Work done but still problems!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I've got a Ferroli Optima 701 which i've been having problems with for about a year.

First i had the issue of the pressure dropping below the minimum, so i read on here to pump some air into the expansion vessel which solved the problem. Excellent, cheers!

Over the past few months my hot water has been intermittant at best. Usually the water would run hot for anything less than 1 minute and then go cold (might be worth noting that when it did run hot the water was quite cloudy). On top of this a lot of the time the central heating would also just go cold, running for a short time then going off.

So at the weekend i replaced the temperature sensors (parts 34 & 42 i believe). Now it would appear that the heating comes on fine, and a lot hotter than before, but i only get hot water when the central heating is running!

It seems to be one thing after another, but I feel like i'm getting somewhere now!!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Iain.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is getting quite old now!

What about the diverter valve failing?

Tony

Not too sure how old it is, i moved into the flat about 2 years ago and it was already installed...so i'm not even sure of it's service history etc.

Sorry, i don't have a great deal of knowledge about combi boilers. What is the purpose of the diverter valve?

Is that something you think i could change myself? Or would you recommend handing it over to a prorfessional?

Thanks for the reply.

Iain.

Sponsored Links
Ah ok,

So the flow control switch allows the boiler to provide the hot water when the central heating is on. Does it still play a major part when the central heating id not on and hot water is requested?

Also could you point out where the flow control switch is? Page 6 of the manual is a diagram of the boiler but i cannot see it listed don there.

Iain.

Its part 136 labelled as flow meter to confuse you.

It brings the boiler on in DHW mode !

Tony

Cheers Tony.

Do you know if there's any way i can test it? Or should i try swapping it out?

Iain.

You might be able to get a little AC voltage from it when the water is running as its a turbine sort of thing.... however, 99% sure that is that like agile suggested.

Turbines usually become jammed and the rotor does not rotate so the magnet on the shaft does not induce an AC voltage into the pickup coil.

You just take them apart, find no dirt, wash the bits and reassemble and they work again.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back