Festool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new venture which will mean me cutting lots of 18mm mdf sheets in my garage.

After reading lots of posts on here, I'm pretty much decided on doing the cutting with a festool plunge saw with guide rail, it's not cheap so before I spend the money can anyone confirm if this is the best tool for the job?

It looks like I will need to also connect a dust extractor to the saw, I'm looking at the festool version
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Festool-5...Extractor-240v-Buy-It-Now-Price-/360727602334

Should I stick with a festool extractor or look at another make.

Any guidance appreciated.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
My friend makes bespoke furniture and he has festools and I have used a few in his work shop and they are quality, what about a table saw.

how are you going to cut up a 8 x 4 sheet then?

a decent table saw on legs/wheels that you pull out when needed will suffice.

or if you have money to spend go for it.festool are brill tools,but as you are aware VERY expensive.

Sponsored Links
Less space is needed for the festool and its also easier than having to lug the sheet over a table saw.

The large mdf boards need to be cut up into smaller pieces to make shelves, so I will draw the lines onto the boards on pencil, and slice them up with the saw.

Surely that's the best way?

But, with a table saw you only set the stop and pull the sheet in until it hits, every shelf will be identical. Without marking each one.

Or am I missing something?

Of course, and I did start off wanting a bench, but a good bench is very expensive, needs more room and I can't take it out to site. Plus, it's unlikely too many shelves will be exactly the same size.

If I had a lot of sheet material to cut up regularly, I'd be looking at a vertical panel saw. Some of them are "portable". Looks as if Axminster have a couple.

Of course, and I did start off wanting a bench, but a good bench is very expensive, needs more room and I can't take it out to site. Plus, it's unlikely too many shelves will be exactly the same size.

Yes, I agree expensive and you need a lot of work to justify the shed space

There are cheaper tracksaws than the festfool

If you really do not have the room for a decent sized saw then a tracksaw would be your best bet
However if its just for a one off job have you thought about approaching a small joinery shop and asking them to supply you what you want cut and edged or ordered from dedicated suppliers online

All really valuable points gents, thank you.

I would love a bench saw or vertical saw, but the new venture may take some time to get going, if it goes well - you never know. Using a local saw mill is a good idea (I was thinking about this) but I'm out in the sticks and the time it takes to get there, wait around etc, it would cost too much in time and money.

Thanks for your input.

Vertical panel saws like the ones @ B&Q are amazing. If you're planning a proper business then that would be the thing to get.

I have a dewalt plunge saw and can’t fault it – bought it from ffx so got a great price.

However, I think if you were to use it very frequently you’d quickly rack up a lot of costs in terms of replacing the blade and also the guide rails as the rubber strips don’t last forever. I’m sure it would be the same for the festool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back