Few questions for the experienced and knowledgable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if you can answer a few questions for me as i am learning to do plastering at the moment in my house which i am renovating with the tightest of budgets.

Why am i using two coats of finish on a wall (i have seen this done and read about it so never questioned it before now, just done it)

also what are the differences between and the best applications for the following -

Browning
bonding
Hardwall

thanks in advance.

p.s. i dont know how you chaps do this plastering caper for a living day in day out, it's very hard work

Sponsored Links
Browning i doon't understand the need for myself, it's either bonding for low suction backgrounds of laths, hardwall for all brick and blockwork.

there are a few reasons for 2 coats of finish, the first you apply at around 2-3mm as quick as you can, flatten it then let it 'pull in' if it needs any more time when you finish laying on.

this first coat will control the suction for the second coat and will have gone some way to looking like a finished wall, the second coat will go on nice and thin 1-2mm and should be applied as flat as poss without any misses etc, ideally just lines in it from the trowel which will be flattened out later.

having more time to work the second coat because the first is controlling suction means you have more time to to get it to a nice finish.

but don't take too long over any of it having said that, the key is to attempt no more than you are capable of, difficult when it's a ceiling as you have to do all of it in one hit, but go for a wall at a time and take it from there, controlling the suction with PVA or WBA first is also crucial.

if i've left anything out chaps chip in!

TM's got it well covered as usual ;) Two finishing coats are the recommended method for the reasons he mentions but it’s not a hard & fast rule. If it's a low suction, nice flat base (as with new plasterboard), a relatively small area & you are experienced there is nothing to stop you using a single skim coat if it will give you a perfectly smooth, flat finish. It’s all about how fast you can work but if your only just learning, stick with 2 coats.

I don’t know what benefits Browning offers over Hardwall now either. Don’t discount a good old fashioned sand/cement render base; in some ways it’s better, it’s cheaper than base coat plasters but is rather more tricky to apply if inexperienced.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Rich ;)

glad i'm not the only one confused by brownings existence, it's for such a small selection of backgrounds that hardwall will do anyway, guess it's just a legacy/leftover of days gone by, must a load of old boys till buying it in.

i must try more sand and cement myself been a while since i've used any, much cheaper like you say, just find it easier to buy bags of plaster when working on my own.

thanks chaps, good to know, although i suppose sand and cement render would be required if any waterproofer was required. dont suppose you can use it in hardwall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back