Newbie Question

Ah well you need to watch the vid too. Because one thing I did learn was although you need to keep your tools clean and make sure everything is taped up before you start, far more important was taking the time to make a nice relaxing cuppa tea so you didn't dive in too soon with your polishing trowel!

Sponsored Links
Haha, I haven't got a kettle in our house we are renovating to live in, if I did I would spend all day drinking tea.

I want to try tea made like http://ladysweetsugar.multiply.com/journal/item/42. Don't think you need all that fancy kit just a stew pot, a hob, a tea pot and a cup and should be able to do the whole thing English style.

Back to plastering, I was busier than I thought and still didn't get around to practising. I want to ask one question before I begin tomorrow, why I do I have to use plasterboard? I already have a ruined wall, can't I just keep trying to get a good skim on that and knock it off with the DIY GOP to have another go? It would be harder to do, so maybe that will make learning slower or faster but when it comes out nice then one job that needs doing will be done :D

Obviously the answer is yes I can do that, the real question is should I do and it and why (not)?

Sponsored Links
Hardwall, covered with some glue residue which is very firm and probably doesn't need removing. It's ruined because it's not even, level, has some hardwall bits which need patching before the skim and it's just hardwall bonding covered with glue residue...

try patching it out with bonding to get it straight (also good for practicing) and the pva well, once dry give a good old pva again and skim while pva is still tacky.

try patching it out with bonding to get it straight (also good for practicing) and the pva well, once dry give a good old pva again and skim while pva is still tacky.

I reckon practising on real work is a better idea and so this is what I'm gunna do.

Excellent, report back, and dont worry about getting it perfectly level if I were you I think it would be better if you could get it fairly plumb, walls work better that way in my opinion :p :LOL:

Good luck!!

Will do, but it's on hold for a few days because someone I know is giving up being a spread which means he won't be needing his tools anymore so I won't have to buy them with a bit of luck :D

Here is a "shopping" list of stuff I was hoping to get off him, see if I'm missing anything out?

Tin snips
Feather edge
Derby (do you really need one if you have a featheredge?)
Platform "Hop on" (Again, one he made hisself)
Trowel
Float
The
Hawk (He made his own one, I like it I don't know why people say don't make your own it's well balanced and feels nice in the hand)
One of those trowels that are bent at a 90 degree angle for inside corners.

Stuff I already have:

Mixer (though it's in poor shape I can clean her up)
Flexi-bucket
Few ridged buckets
Plywood (which I was gunna make into like a "table" to put the mix on)
11 " B & Q Trowel (Though his one is all worn in and sharp as a razor so probably won't use this one as much)

Stuff I'm thinking of buying:
Scaffold board. My retiring friend has one but it's warped in the middle and I rocks about. I don't like that at all :) Otherwise I can just keep kicking platform along instead of tie it to stepladder. (I got ceilings to do too!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back