Fiat Punto Fuel and engine problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a long running problem with my fiat punto diesel van missing at around 40mph in top gear. It sort of shudders as I drive around at that speed but when I change down to 4th gear it is ok. I took it back into the fiat garage 2 years ago with the same problem and they said it was caused by the on board computer chip and they had sorted it but a month later the same problem came back but due to the distance i bought the van from never went back as it was only a minor nuisance and was wondering if anyone can help diagnose the problem because it is now getting a little worse.
Now I have another problem in that when the fuel tank is a quarter full the engine cuts out as though there is no fuel in the tank and when I fill it back up it works fine until it reaches the same quarter mark on my fuel gauge. I have changed my fuel filter and used an injector clean but still the problem occurs. I am well puzzled in what is causing this and have been told it could be the fuel pump on its way out? The van has done 93000 miles and has been used lightly at around 60mph on average throughout its life.

Could some help me sort these problems out as I am well stumped? :(

Sponsored Links
Either the pump on it's way out, or the filter on the pump (if it has one) is probably choked with crud. Could also be the fuel pump relay

Sponsored Links
Back