Fiberglass or other roofing material?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I will soon be adding a large rear dorma with flat (ish) roof to the rear of my bungalow. The roof will be approx 10m long by 3.5m wide and is south facing.

What would you guys recommend for the roofing material?

The plans say to use fiberglass but I have seen the thread on here about fiberglass roofs making loud noises, Also I suspect that other roofing materials would be cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Why get your roof done as cheaply as possible when it is probably the most important part of your house.

Get it done well mot CHEAP

I'm not after the cheapest option, I should have said I'm not planning on torch on felt here.

I can get fiberglass done fairly reasonably as a mate can do it but the thread on here about them making loud banging noises as they expand and contract has put me off a bit, Especially as this is a large south facing roof.

I was thinking more along the lines of these new rubber type roofs that come with 20-50 year guarantees. I'm thinking they would be quieter in rain too and if it costs less too thats just a bonus.

Anyone have any recommendations?
I will have the roof structure completed today so I will need to make a decision on this soon.

Sponsored Links
The flat roof for my extension is a similar size at 12.5m x 4.5m.
I went for EPDM for the roof as I considered that to be the best price/quality compromise (and I wanted to do it myself).
Cost was around £800 for the rubber, the glue, and all the trims to go around the edges.
Myself and a friend laid the rubber, glued it down, and fitted the trims in about 4 hours.
Hardest job was getting it up there to start with as it came folded up into a package about a metre square that weighed almost 100kg.

If you go for rubber, spend a few quid extra and get about half a metre more than the size of the roof itself at each end. I did that and it made it easier when lapping up under the felt and wrapping down the edges of the walls. Also makes it less critical to get it perfectly square on the roof. I'm glad I did as if it were a tight fit it would have been a pain, and you definitely don't want it to be too small!

Pic of it below from my build blog site (bit too big for the forum so I'll just add a link)
http://www.myhouseproject.me.uk/images/flat_roof_20.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back