BIG variation between Roofing Materials Quotations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We will be getting some roof work done in the future. For this we have recieved quotes both from a large roofing materials supplier (SIG Roofing, http://www.sigroofing.co.uk/) and from a roofer.

However there is a BIG difference between the two quotes, for just materials.

Our roof is approx 125 square metres with a pitch of 45 degrees, The property is semi detached and has a Hip end.

We will be using Cembrit Jutland 300x600 Blue/Black Roof Slates.

Would someone be able to give us a ROUGH idea of what they think it should cost in total for the following roof materials:

• Tiles (Cembrit Jutland, 90p per tile inc vat, 1625 tiles + wastage needed)
  • Tile and Half pieces,
  • Roof felt
  • Red roof lats (spaced at 255mm centres)
  • Nails,
  • Copper rivets for tiles
  • Ridge tiles (dry ridge)
  • Flashing to go underneath ridge tiles
  • Fibreglass T shape flashing pieces to go between our roof and next door (approx 11 metres needed).
We shall then see if these estimates are anythign close to our current quotaitons,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the jutland price isn't bad to a none account holder.. What ridge are you thinking of? it makes a difference, Which underlay has been quoted for?
Have both quoted for red batten? anyway, everyone has to make a profit..

the jutland price isn't bad to a none account holder.. What ridge are you thinking of? it makes a difference, Which underlay has been quoted for?
Have both quoted for red batten? anyway, everyone has to make a profit..

Hi, thanks for your reply. We are going with Dry Ridge and i believe that there are chaped ridge tiles by the same manufacturer for this.

The felt is 180g/m weight breathable. The brand is Protec.

Yes these are for Red batons on both quotes.

The understanding with our roofer though is that he is not making any money on the materials (his words), but will obviously make good money on his labour.

Thanks

There is not much scope for anyone to make much on the mats as SIG have already given you a price for the slates. ( I assume thats where the 75 + vat came from)
of course you could buy or the materials? and hope your calculations are correct..

Sponsored Links
There is not much scope for anyone to make much on the mats as SIG have already given you a price for the slates. ( I assume thats where the 75 + vat came from)
of course you could buy or the materials? and hope your calculations are correct..

Hi there, The price that my roofer has given me is £1700 over the cost that SIG said it will be for the tiles only. So that's £1500 to cover things like roof felt, batons, ridges, flashing etc).

I have calculated £350 for batons, £250 for felt, but then that would leave £1100 left in their quote just for ridge tiles and flashing.

thanks

Any lead involved? Dry ridge/hip kits add up too, if you have a significant metes required.

He is using cheap cement fibre slates, so likely low cost ridge (modern or similar)
Dry ridge kits are cheap these days.. in fact SIG are currently promoting some

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back