Leaking roof - stone chippings at eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, we've just experienced the worst rain in 70 years (as in cars were underwater a few miles away) and in the process lost a ridge tile at the edge of our roof A few days later I noticed a damp patch appear the corner of one of the bedrooms, however I'm not sure if that was there before we lost the tile (I don't think it was there a couple of months ago when we painted the ceiling).

Is it expensive to replace ridge tiles? I've inspected the loft and there is a pile of gravel close to the wall and eaves. Is this from the roofing felt? It seems the loof has leaked in the past as I can see a water stain running from higher up in the roof. The area around this stain seems to have been repaired by filling the gap between two boards under the felt with a clear glue or sealant of some sort. This does not seem to be leaking. From outside I can't see any other cracked tiles and the flashing seems to be intact (looking from ground level).

The main leak seems to be below the point where the tv aerial cable comes in through the roof. Am I correct in assuming that water is getting under the tiles then running down felt and finding its way through any gaps? Is this likely to be due to the ridge tile or could it be faulty flashing? The pile of gravel looks like its been there a while.

PS. The tiled roof is about 30 years old (ex council house)

Thanks
Den

Sponsored Links
is the roof underfelted? once the water gets in it will travel !! sometimes comes out somewhere differnt from where its entered ? if you can knock a bucket of morter up your self and climb a ladder have a go otherwise call a expert for a free quote pick his brains,if he sounds resonable let him do the job,should cost no more then £20-30 max :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back