Roof Leak Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a small leak at the top of a roof gully between two adjoining roofs. The leak is at the top and depends on the wind direction - sometimes it does not leak. One roofer said it needs a "saddle" - a piece of lead to be inserted under the top ridge and adjacent tiles. He said the original only had cement which probably has cracked.
Another said he needs to take the whole gully apart and put in new felt under the tiles. The felt seems fine to me, looking inside the roof and the leak is only at the top.

Any advice welcome - what's the likely cause and typical cost ?

Looking at the photos, the leak appears at the top of the gully, where the higher roof from the right meets the lower ridge tiles on the left.

Sponsored Links
There's a tile sitting high, top right of valley, this appears to be on the tiling bond/joint and could account for the leak.

As for the felt, whether it's perished or not has nothing to do with it, it is not the cause of the leak.

The tile that Terrypin mentions is that daylight that is showing under it?

You could be right, Honda - about the daylight. There is a small tile hung "gable" behind, on the end of the higher roof. Don't know what it's called "hip" ??? Anyway I'm confident now that the problem is in that small area and not the whole valley.
I'll have another look with the binoculars and get the first roofer in - fairly small job he said.

Sponsored Links
Had a roofer up there today to fix the problem - here was a gap between the tiles where one tile had been cut to fit in next to the valley tile. Because of the non standard width (due to cut tile), water was getting past the tiles below.
He slipped his piece of lead under the gap and that was it. Most of the job was setting up the ladders !!

BTW- There is no daylight showing - that was just something in the photo.

Had a roofer up there today to fix the problem - here was a gap between the tiles where one tile had been cut to fit in next to the valley tile. Because of the non standard width (due to cut tile), water was getting past the tiles below.
He slipped his piece of lead under the gap and that was it. Most of the job was setting up the ladders !!

BTW- There is no daylight showing - that was just something in the photo.

There you go, a good result.

See how photos are a good idea :D

That'll be a £15 diagnosis fee, then :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back