Fibreglass between rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to board out my loft for storage and also boiler access, however the previous owners have (fairly recently I guess) put a ton of fibreglass roll insulation up there, 2 layers thick, on top of the manky old stuff.

All the insulation needs to come up anyway as we've got a ton of electrical work going on as well. So I was thinking of fitting the new fibreglass roll between the rafters, rather than chuck it. This would give me a warmer loft. My builder friend then started throwing phrases like kingspan and Jablite at me, which I assume are rigid insulation products I could fit under the 'floor' of the loft when it's boarded.

Will this lead to problems with regard to ventilation, or damp? Is there anything else I need to do to make this work properly? what's the best way to hold the fibreglass roll in place? I was thinking of putting nails or screws in the rafters and tieing between them with wire or rope - I don't see the point of boarding over the rafters.

The property is 60's terrace, with approximately 6'-7' to the apex - I want to maximise the headroom, thus I'm reluctant to batten across the roof joists and raise the loft floor any more than I need to.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back