Fibreglass Flatroof ..... How Do You Remove It?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours replaced their normal asphalt roof with Fibreglass sounded very fancy until I saw two builders screw down some chipboard panels and with a roller roll on the resin etc... in a few hours ... then I realised how unskilled and moronic these new materials are.

I would criticize them for using chipboard as well except that they are personal friends of the owners and work on a lot of properties !!!!

Anyway, my question is what happens at the end of its life?

With asphalt you can strip off the asphalt and gain access to the screw heads and replace the boards and torch on a new roof.

But with fibreglass? What the hell are you going to do?

You have no access to the screw heads and the resin is bonded to the boards ... how do you get it off? There is no way is there? Do you try to progressively hack it off from the sides ? Or go through the ceiling ?

You are in danger of ripping the screws right out of the supporting timbers?

Are these new technologies just moronic inventions of irresponsible and overpriced garbage??

Perhaps I am missing something?

Do you cut the fibreglass off with a circular saw and then hack sideways with a black to cut through the screws???

Sponsored Links
Why are you bothering yourself worrying about your neighbours ' unskilled and moronic' roof covering

Don't care about them ... just interested in general if somebody knows how to remove such a roof.
Unless you are the 1 in a million person who has taken care to mark on the surface the location of the screwheads and covered them so they have no resin on them ... probably 1 person in the history of the world did that.
Unless you have done that I don't understand how you can take these roofs off at the end of their life?
Probably for many they just stick more boards on top and drill them through and fibreglass over the top, such is the mentality these days.

You wont see to many screw heads under Asphalt. or maybe you mean something else?

Sponsored Links
You're reading into it too much.
Once you've broken the seal levering those chipboard (probably osb) will be plain sailing.
I personally don't use fibreglass, but I tend not to dismiss the work required to make a decent job.
So easy roofing is....

Yeah so in this video a guy easily removes a traditional felt roof with a spade .. .gaining access to the screw heads and you can do what you like with no damage to the timbers right.
What the hell will you do with a GRP roof?
I think you are screwed. Perhaps that's why the builders used chipboard rather than ply because it can progressively destroyed to remove it? Or was it that they are cheap b******ds?

I think it will be hard to remove a GRP roof without damaging the underlying structure tearing the screws out of the timbers.
Because GRP is newer perhaps it is storing up a big nightmare.
Not to mention all the glass dust from cutting it off with angle grinders.

Here's that felt roof removal (sorry I meant felt not asphalt)

Although in this video this guy is levering the boards off maybe you could do the same and leave the grp coating on it ?

Last edited:
The same though has occured to me about screwing plasterboard to timbers- if you ever do need to renew the ceiling boards (after a major roof or pipe fail) it'll be really boring getting the screws out after you've ripped the boards down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back