Fibreglass loft insulation, is it dangerous to remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of re-insulating my loft. Currently there's between 30-50mm of what I think is fibreglass insulation in between the joists. The plan is to remove the existing stuff and replace it with 100mm of Rock wool insulation so that it's at the same level as the joists.

I've noticed that when removing the existing stuff, a lot of dust gets kicked up. I'm not sure if this is just dust thats accumulated over the years and/or fibres from the existing insulation.

How much of a risk is there to me when removing this stuff? I have been using a mask/goggles when working, however when using the mask it still made me cough. So i ditched the mask and started using a respirator (one of those things that looks like a gas mask and makes you sound like Darth Vader when you breathe) and its much better. Is there still a health risk and should I be leaving it where it is? Or is it safe to remove?

Cheers,

Ham.

Sponsored Links
there is no evidence that it is carciogenic or anything, but it is quite unpleasant and makes me cough badly. My builder claims one of his old friends with a bad chest died of it as he was coughing so badly. I would definitely wear a good dustmask with valve, also goggles if you can. Put any old insulation in polybags before taking it out of the loft. Roll up your sleeves so the cuffs do not rub fibres into your skin. I wear thin blue neoprene gloves (like surgical gloves but stronger) but rough work gloves will do. Your overalls will need washing afterwards. Put a big dustsheet at the bottom of the ladder to step onto and take them off, stuff them in a polybag before removing your mask.

The fibres can be washed off your skin with cold water (that prevents rubbing them in, or opening the pores with hot water.

Wear some kind of hat or you will get it in your hair.

Do not touch your face, eyes or other sensitive parts until you have cleaned your hands.

If you want to get the place clean, use a big vac afterwards to clear up what remaining dust and fibres you can

If you have an old house with an unfelted roof, then a lot of the dust will be air pollution that settles on the tiles and blows in. You will get more of it unless you retile the roof and use felt or membrane.

Try leaving the loft hatch open as this may create an updraught that blows some of the dust away.

If you leave the old stuff in place and apply a new layer over the top, the dust and fibres will still be there, but will not be disturbed.

In my own house I now only use the white recycled plastic loft insulation, as it does not create dust or fibres and does not irritate the skin or make me cough. It is a bit more expensive but worth it to me.

The obvious question to me is :

"Why do you want to remove the old stuff ? "

It doesn't rot or wear out.

Top it up to joist level with new stuff, save yourself some money and all the aggravation and disruption caused by removing it and then carting it away.

"Why do you want to remove the old stuff?"

Well the current stuff is only about 40mm high and if I topped it up with 100mm rockwool it would be higher than the 100mm joists and I wouldn't be able to board over it without squashing the insulation down, which according to something I read this forum a while ago, makes the insulation less effective. Is that correct, or can I squash 140mm worth of insulation down to fit into joists 100mm high and still keep the same effectiveness?

Cheers,

H.

Sponsored Links
if you topped it up with 60mm, it would then be (40mm + 60mm) = 100mm thick which would reach the top of the joists

If you counterbatten them you could add more.

Squashing 140mm to 100mm makes 100mm (plus ceiling cracks)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back