Field/land drainage advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some information on methods of routing streams through land that's going to be built on. When I say stream, it's more of a trough of water 50m long but doesn't flow much in a woodland.

I'm looking to build on a plot of land that has a beck/stream running down one side of the boundary from a farmers field past the land and beyond, the water isn't normally flowing but is around 60cm wide and seems to be 60cm deep at some points. To prevent any future flooding to my land in heavy rainfall I was wondering what the best option is for drainage pipes?

Would using the spoil from the land & banking it up parallel to the stream prevent any overflow issues without using drainage pipes? The flow of water seems to of channelled it's own way through, there is also a dried up bed that tees into it.

Sponsored Links
I'm looking for some information on methods of routing streams through land that's going to be built on. When I say stream, it's more of a trough of water 50m long but doesn't flow much in a woodland.

I'm looking to build on a plot of land that has a beck/stream running down one side of the boundary from a farmers field past the land and beyond, the water isn't normally flowing but is around 60cm wide and seems to be 60cm deep at some points. To prevent any future flooding to my land in heavy rainfall I was wondering what the best option is for drainage pipes?

Would using the spoil from the land & banking it up parallel to the stream prevent any overflow issues without using drainage pipes? The flow of water seems to of channelled it's own way through, there is also a dried up bed that tees into it.
Have you had a flood report done? Standing water nearby sounds like you might be at risk.

To improve water absorption into the soil think about planting some trees near the stream. It's not as flashy as an embankment but they're very effective at getting water off the surface. Plus who doesn't like trees near a stream?

If you build an embankment then what happens to any water that lands on the other side?

Have you had a flood report done? Standing water nearby sounds like you might be at risk.

To improve water absorption into the soil think about planting some trees near the stream. It's not as flashy as an embankment but they're very effective at getting water off the surface. Plus who doesn't like trees near a stream?

If you build an embankment then what happens to any water that lands on the other side?

I've only had the environmental search results back from conveyancing which it picked up on surface water. I was aware anyway as I viewed the land. I've not paid for anything extra though. The site is in woodland which needs cleared to build, there are other houses that have been built with similar water runs. Calling it a stream makes it sound more than it actually is. The water doesn't look like it flows but it must do slowly as the far end goes past other houses and away.

I was thinking of using the ground spoil to make a mound approximately 3ft high and can plant something in it if need be. the beck would be running the other side of it and in it's own channel so shouldn't affect the banking. If I was to need to install perforated drainage pipe, what prevents anything entering the end of the pipe and blocking it up? I've not used larger diameter drainage pipe before.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back