Fill Letterbox Hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I would like to do away with my letterbox so I need to fill the hole. The end result will hopefully be a door with no sign on both sides of an old letterbox. It’s quite a large rectangular hole cut into a very solid wooden front door. What would be the best method?

CF495310-3ADF-4BD1-AD08-5183B523754B.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Remove the paint in the existing hole (route it to the size of the block to fill it with).

How about a brass plate covering it? perhaps one that's meant to go on a door above the handle to push open - but fitted horizontal?

Thanks for your suggestions but I don’t want a shiny metal plate on either side. That’s kinda the whole point of getting rid of the letterbox. I want it to look like there was never anything there.

Sponsored Links
In fill with timber slightly proud as tight as possible , then wood/car filler to finish and sand back . Decorate.There will always be a possibility for the repair to crack though .

Fill it with wood and paint the whole door then :)
Still remove the paint from the inside edges of the hole before fixing wood in though.

Just out of curiosity, where are all your letters, bills, legal notices etc. going to go?

Good question Mattylad. It’s a front door to a flat within a large house that has 6 other flats and a communal door. Post for all flats gets put on the table in the communal hallway but sometimes part time postmen deliver my post through my letterbox. I’m decorating the door and decided the letterbox wasn’t necessary and realised that it wasn’t particularly great for security either! So I’m going minimal with the door furniture. I might buy a vintage post box to hang on the adjacent wall, just cos.

i suppose i will try the filling with wood and then filler (I’ll prob use Toupret caulk and then filler to try prevent cracks appearing.

I did consider expandable foam followed by a thin piece of wood either side, but that could get messy.

I remember many years ago making that hole in the door to fit the letterbox. What a job that was. Now I’m filling it in. C’est la vie!

I think you need to make a "Dutchman" -that's what the yanks call it, maybe Brits too?

Basically rout a perfect oblong that covers the hole, a bit bigger than the hole and shallow so that the door provides support for the panel that will be let in. Ditto on the other side.
Then cut a timber patch and use something like gorilla glue to hold the patch. Fill the centre with a chunk of timber and another patch on the outside of the door.
Cut the patch so it sits just proud of the door surface

A bit of sawdust and glue as filler helps then sand or plane the patch so it is flush with the door surface. It's easier than a big block of wood in the letter box and you can take your time

I’m sorry Tigercub but no matter how many times I read your reply I don’t understand it. I want to as it sounds interesting.

I think you need to make a "Dutchman" -that's what the yanks call it, maybe Brits too?

Basically rout a perfect oblong that covers the hole, a bit bigger than the hole and shallow so that the door provides support for the panel that will be let in. Ditto on the other side.
Then cut a timber patch and use something like gorilla glue to hold the patch. Fill the centre with a chunk of timber and another patch on the outside of the door.
Cut the patch so it sits just proud of the door surface

A bit of sawdust and glue as filler helps then sand or plane the patch so it is flush with the door surface. It's easier than a big block of wood in the letter box and you can take your time

Treat the letterbox hole as two separate repairs, one inside, one outside. This way it's easier to get both sides looking ok as you only need to get each side right, and not undo one good side because you messed up the second.
Using a template and router, you can create a pocket that uses the same size patch instead of two one off's.
The router can remove a larger area than the letter box but only make a shallow recess to suit the patching timber. But the recess should allow enough of the original door's material to support the patch all the way around.
You don't really need to fill the centre of the hole but soundproofing would be better and it's "properly done" if you do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back