Filler Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My apologies if this ought to be in "decorating and painting". I want to hide some countersunk wood screws in both MDF and spruce. Any recommendations for a specific filler that's easy to work with and comes at a reasonable price or would any old stuff do? The surfaces will be painted once filled and sanded flush.

Sponsored Links
Ronseal Wood-Filler. It's a 2-part epoxy that comes in white, beige and brown. I've used it for years and absolutely brilliant stuff On "raw" wood I frequently chisel out the knots, fill with this and sand smooth for a totally invisible repair. If the hole is really big, drive in a couple of embedded nails or screws into the side of the hole to form a skeleton for it to lock onto whilst it sets hard (less than 20 minutes)

Sponsored Links
I use 2 part Ronseal as well. If you time it right it is very easy to finish. You can do screw heads with almost no sanding.

Sawdust and pva glue, cheapest and if you use the same sawdust as the wood, can be almost invisible...pinenot :)

Ronseal Wood-Filler. It's a 2-part epoxy that comes in white, beige and brown. I've used it for years and absolutely brilliant stuff On "raw" wood I frequently chisel out the knots, fill with this and sand smooth for a totally invisible repair. If the hole is really big, drive in a couple of embedded nails or screws into the side of the hole to form a skeleton for it to lock onto whilst it sets hard (less than 20 minutes)

I agree. I've also used car body filler when I've not had any of the wood filler, but the wood filler is much easier to sand to get an imperceptible repair.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back