filling 1 inch ceiling gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to fitted a kitchen island exhaust hood which required installation to the main ceiling wood work hence i cut thought the plasterboard and screwed the exhaust hood .

But now i am left with 1 inch gap between the exhaust hood and plasterboard . the exhaust hood is circular and hence the gap is all around . I have attached a picture for additional info.

Can u please advise how to fill and finish the gap ?

Thanks
PS: I have never done any plastering work before !

Sponsored Links
The stainless steel hoods I have fitted are normally extendable and the ducting runs inside. I have always taken the ducting through the ceiling (100/150mm circ hose) and then this opening has always been small enough to be covered by the extending hood. In other words, the hood doesn't go through the ceiling (you just extend it to meet the ceiling) - only the ducting, if that makes sense.

What's the make and model of the hood you've got?

fire cement from a caulking gun, recessed a bit, then some decorators caulk and paint..

you could fill it out with bonding then apply easyfill and sand it down, providing there is no movement or source some flexible bead.

Sponsored Links
you`ll never match that stippled artex :cry: . see if you can get a plain large plaster ceiling "rose" then carefully cut it out so it forms 2 halves of a ring - then glue it round the tube - fill the cuts - job done .

Hotrod ,

u r right , I didn't have to put the hole through but its too late now :oops: . the extractor hood is CDA eckv4 .

Thanks guys for ur suggestion . I was also thinking of maybe using expanding foam to fill the gap and then caulking but worried with minor moment it might start cracking ? so maybe silicone ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back