Filling a disused manhole prior to building?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a rather large 70s manhole (concrete lid with concrete rings below ground) in my garden, but it’s going to be built over by my extension.

The manhole only services a rainwater outlet that will be lost as part of the build anyway, so I’ve got no qualms about filling it in.

The only complication is that it lies on the route that the ring beam for my (piled) foundations will go.

I was thinking of filling with compacted hardcore then topsoil for the top 600mm.
Anything wrong with that idea?

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
The only complication is that it lies on the route that the ring beam for my (piled) foundations will go.

Is the manhole going to sit below the ring beam? If not, then the concrete rings will need to come out so your ring beam and their re-inforcement cages can be run.

I was thinking of filling with compacted hardcore then topsoil for the top 600mm.
Anything wrong with that idea?

I wouldn't see any reason to put a hardcore layer down or topsoil. The ring beam doesn't need a hardcore base as it's supported by the piles. For any infill here, I'd put the earth from the trench dig and compact that down.

You might want to check your pile locations to ensure they are not going to be positioned where the manhole is. Personally, if the manhole is no longer used, i'd look to dig it out when the trenches are dug.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was planning to take out the top concrete ring, but as you say, I could dig out the whole thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back