Moving Manhole Cover for Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

This is my first post so go easy! I have used this site a lot in the past and it has always been very useful. So useful I have always found the answer I needed and haven't needed to sign up! But my current question is a little more complicated and I would like some guidance before I go any further...

I am looking at purchasing a new property and my plan is to add a single storey 3m extension on building regs. However there is currently a drain in the way of where the foundations need to go. See pics for a better explanation.

I have quite a few questions but I will start with the most obvious ones first.

Does my plan to move the Manhole cover further along the predicted exit pipe look feasible?

Under the manhole cover there are 3 pipes one from toilet upstairs in the house, one from outside toilet (needs clearing) and one pipe taking the sewage away- from the angle it looks like it runs under the garage to the road at the front.

I have a couple of other questions regarding the rainwater pipe relocation but for now please let me know if my initial (very rough) plans look feasible.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What you show is very common in extensions - all waste and drainage can, typically, be moved around to suit your proposals.

However, there's no way near enough info on your sketch - all drainage points and runs must be taken into account before any realistic comment can be made.

The manhole depth is in your favour . As long as the WC in the bathroom can turn so that the soil/vent pipe can be moved round the corner - the basin + bath wastes will need to go into it too - maybe a bathroom refurb ;) ;) Looks lie the new plastic soil will have to penetrate the garage roof - again no big deal.

That all sounds very reasonable to me. I had factored in moving the WC and pipework in the upstairs bathroom- although I didnt explain it in my first post.

I figured another option is to run the pipe inside the house and box it in when refitting the kitchen and bathroom, that way I can run the soil pipe through the wall in the garage out to the relocated manhole junction. This would save cutting through the garage roof. But I would have to run a vent pipe through the attic. Both require some effort so either option would work I guess.

So I think I am pretty clear on where the sewage water goes now. Would the storm water run to a soak away? Or a separate storm water pipe? Or into the same pipe as the sewage water? As my next focus is a plan to relocate the storm water pipe.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Your local council should have plans for drainage that you can view - otherwise i`ts a dig and figure out job. As to the roof penetration ,I missed the corrugated roof covering :oops: An idea would be a long ,say 2 foot flashing behind the soil on the roof corrugations /up the wall then flattening out behind the pipe to shed the water - shorter at the front , and stuck to the corrugated material @ the back . disc cut groove in the wall and a cover flashing . Good thing is it can be done as the soil pipe is being fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back