Manhole cover - enlarging hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Length 1.jpg

Hi All,

I have a manhole in my garden that requires reducing, the cover is in the middle of my lawn and is unsightly as well as being highly corroded is incredibly dangerous.

The manhole is used to service a septic tank as I live in the countryside with no mains sewage. I have attached some photos which show is it not built up by brick but solid concrete.
My aim is to reduce the manhole and use a recessed manhole cover from a company called ecogrid which you can then fill with soil and seed. The manhole cover I purchased is 100mm in depth so the plan was to set a concrete saw to 100mm, cut the shape of the manhole. Use a breaker to break out any further concrete and install.

Is this the correct methodology and is there a specific concrete saw / floor saw I should be using?

PS, this isnt my first rodeo, this girl can DIY and has renovated 2 houses previously! Just my first outing with a manhole. My brother is kindly helping with any heavy lifting!

Thanks,

Jade

Attachments

• Width 3.jpg
    Width 3.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
I dunno, I know you've already bought a recessed cover, but I would be tempted to replace with a normal manhole cover and just put a plant pot/garden gnome on top of it!

Doing work like you're suggesting over an open septic tank cover is a pretty grim and risky job.

Also a grown over recessed cover will be harder to find in future years

Imo, I wouldn’t be taking a breaker or concrete saw to that, you could cause more harm than good. You’ve only mentioned 100mm depth nothing else, so presumably fits. If it needs reducing, then by hand might be less risky.

Fix a board in the hole to catch the debris, cut slots with your grinder about 10mm apart and break off with a hammer, repeat till you get to the required depth (a bit deeper to provide room for a bed). If you hit rebar (lots of sparks) you may need to splash out on a suitable "turbo" diamond blade.

Sponsored Links
View attachment 305948

Hi All,

I have a manhole in my garden that requires reducing, the cover is in the middle of my lawn and is unsightly as well as being highly corroded is incredibly dangerous.

The manhole is used to service a septic tank as I live in the countryside with no mains sewage. I have attached some photos which show is it not built up by brick but solid concrete.
My aim is to reduce the manhole and use a recessed manhole cover from a company called ecogrid which you can then fill with soil and seed. The manhole cover I purchased is 100mm in depth so the plan was to set a concrete saw to 100mm, cut the shape of the manhole. Use a breaker to break out any further concrete and install.

Is this the correct methodology and is there a specific concrete saw / floor saw I should be using?

PS, this isnt my first rodeo, this girl can DIY and has renovated 2 houses previously! Just my first outing with a manhole. My brother is kindly helping with any heavy lifting!

Thanks,

Jade
Looks like a reducing 'biscuit' that fits on top of a large pit.....

1686852821934.png

Don't attempt to cut or break it.

If the requirement is grass, I feel like a couple of tonne bags of top soil and a box of grass seed might be the best option for getting the level to match here!
I don't quite understand how planting grass in a <100mm deep tray is going to work out though, surely it would be sodden in winter and dry out constantly in summer?

'Access' is the key word here. All recessed lids, become difficult, if not impossible to lift, once they are filled and in place for a while. Once grown over, it will be difficult to locate as well as impossible to lift, without ripping the whole assembly out of the ground.

I'd replace with a decent cover and leave well alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back