Manhole concrete fillet repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My septic tank has 3 manholes in the lawn, the concrete fillet round the edges is cracked & does not look nice.
To repair I was thinking of digging away grass & old concrete, then make a wooden frame to go round the metal lid leaving about 3" of space & then mixing concrete & replace the old.
Is this how it should be done?
also
Should I use sharp sand & cement or ballast.
What ration should the mix be?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok.....

.....as long as there is enough 'meat' in the concrete ring then it should be weighty enough to take care of itself.

Use 6 parts ballast to 1.5 cement with a shovel of sharp sand to give a bit of fat.

Other alternatives are to have a brick or slabbed perimeter around the frame/lid.

Noseall, thanks for that I want concrete as I want to have a flower bed around it.
How deep should the mix be & do I need to put any wire in it for strength (I was thinking chicken wire as I have some).

Reinforcement would be good as long as you can get decent cover over the metal - fiddly but doable.

As long as the conc has time to fully cure and there is only pedestrian traffic then you may be fine without reinforcement.

Sponsored Links
It will not be walked on, only maybe the odd fork stuck in it when Im having a dig.
Many thanks, just need to wait for the snow to clear & I can get going.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back