Manhole cover - enlarging hatch

Sponsored Links
Oh no, something I've never come across before, it must be flawed lol.
They get very boggy in the winter too.

Arrive at job and see that its a recessed MH cover, sigh.

Go get the keys out of the van and struggle for 10 mins.

Go get the crow bar and subsequently break the keys.

Go get the long wrecking bar and prise the lid, the fame and 25 block paviors out of the ground.

Retrieve 6 pieces of broken brick from 3 foot down the MH and covered in shít.

I've come across them often.

Lol.

Sponsored Links
My goodness sounds like you're having a tough morning. Do you have someone there who can give you a hug?

Might be better getting his lump hammer out and beating a rusty old cast iron manhole (sorry - IC) cover into submission.

Try elbow grease next time.
Honestly FMT, they are a reet pain. They weld themselves closed after only a short while. A combination of rain, corrosive soil/debris and the sheer depth and friction of the sides. 95% you WILL pull up the whole assembly rather than the lid detach from the frame. The best fun is orientating the paviors back into their original positions. I always take a photo these days.

The tray type are incredibly heavy when filled

Is the OP capable of lifting it?

Bit late to the party, but my twopenneth. The fact the lid is 'highly corroded' straight away rings alarm bells, septic tanks can produce Hydrogen Sulfide which attacks concrete and steel, hence why the cover is in such a state already. I would strongly advise the type of cover mentioned is not fitted to a septic tank! Thinner metal will rot out much more quickly, you wont be able to see its condition under the soil/grass, and first time you might realise there is an issue is when someone or something goes straight through it into the tank below.

Then, if they can stay afloat, the level of H2S in there may be enough to rapidly overcome them. You could well be creating a death trap, fit a suitable Iron or Plastic cover to the existing hole and stick something on it to keep people and animals off.

Bit late to the party, but my twopenneth. The fact the lid is 'highly corroded' straight away rings alarm bells, septic tanks can produce Hydrogen Sulfide which attacks concrete and steel, hence why the cover is in such a state already. I would strongly advise the type of cover mentioned is not fitted to a septic tank! Thinner metal will rot out much more quickly, you wont be able to see its condition under the soil/grass, and first time you might realise there is an issue is when someone or something goes straight through it into the tank below.

Then, if they can stay afloat, the level of H2S in there may be enough to rapidly overcome them. You could well be creating a death trap, fit a suitable Iron or Plastic cover to the existing hole and stick something on it to keep people and animals off.
This is really helpful! Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back