Conservatory and Manhole Cover - Urgent help Please

1) When they move the manhole cover they're going to build up the inside of the chamber with breeze blocks, is this sufficient?
no. an inspection chamber is subterranean, thus requires either proprietary precast rings or semi-engineering brickwork.

2) Is it ok to turf over the manhole cover? I suspect it's not advisable but thought i'd check
oh Lordy. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
lol .... are these builders or chancers?

No a manhole is constructed from engineering brick, pre-cast concrete rings or a proprietary plastic former.

Believe it or not it has to have a degree of waterproofness to stop the smelly stuff getting out and causing things like disease :rolleyes:

Turf over it and you have a 600 x 400 patch of soggy grass

lol .... are these builders or chancers?

apart from my concerns with the manhole cover they're very good builders/conservatory fitters. The brickwork they've done so far is some of the best i've seen and I've seen several of their other jobs. I went round a few different firms and some of the brick work from others was dubious to say the least! I even had a quote from a 'respected' local firm that quoted for the same job but were 4.5k more expensive and didn't put cavity trays in, they expected me to remove all the decking and concrete underneath before they started and used a cheaper upvc profile

thanks for all the info/advice

god knows what i'm going to do about the manhole cover :rolleyes: :cry:

Sponsored Links
But does nice work, built incorrectly and contrary to required regulations = good builders?

Well it seems that the builders were correct. I've just come off the phone from the building regs people from my local council and gave them my address and they looked up on the plans and to move the manhole you do NOT need building regs. You only need building regs if it's a public sewer and united utilities would have to do it.

I told them that our waste pipe and rain water pipe go into it and they said that's fine

But does nice work?

Yes

built incorrectly and contrary to required regulations

It is built correctly ;) - Looks like they've turned up trumps and know building regs inside out :D I can sleep again at night.

From the information posted here, the work (alteration) to the drains is 'controlled work' under the Building Act/Building Regulations. As such it is notifiable to the LA for inspection and approval.

You have been given the wrong information from whoever you spoke with, and you would be wise to ask the council to confirm in writing what they have told you

From the information posted here, the work (alteration) to the drains is 'controlled work' under the Building Act/Building Regulations. As such it is notifiable to the LA for inspection and approval.

You have been given the wrong information from whoever you spoke with, and you would be wise to ask the council to confirm in writing what they have told you

I spoke to one of the inspectors from the building regs so I doubt I've been given wrong info.

I asked them to confirm in writing which they're doing. I even rang back again to double check and you only need building regs approval if it's a public sewer.

Just incase it was duff info I've just been on the web and got the building regs number for Durham County Council (Random Different County) and again as long as it's a private drain i.e. drains to get rid of water from your home and not a public sewer then building regs are not needed. I challenged the guy and said I'd been informed any movement of a manhole will require building regs and he said that's not the case and there is a big problem in the north east (I don't live there) with rogue builders doing the smallest job and telling people building regs are needed so charge more and send a friend round to inspect :rolleyes:

I'm happy with the info so it's put my mind at rest

Thanks

as woody says, ANY work on underground drains is notifiable and subject to b.c. inspection.

as woody says, ANY work on underground drains is notifiable and subject to b.c. inspection.

that's what i thought but it seems strange that the building reg department who would check the work and know the laws say private drains are fine it's only public drains that need building regs :?:

that's what i thought but it seems strange that the building reg department who would check the work and know the laws say private drains are fine it's only public drains that need building regs :?:

:confused:

very strange. i have been in the trade 26 + years and have never heard anything like it.

ever.

:confused:

very strange. i have been in the trade 26 + years and have never heard anything like it.

ever.

I had a similar situation recently with a manhole I needed to have moved for a conservatory.

I phoned the local BCO, and they said that I would need to submit a Building Notice and they would come and inspect.

I did so, paid them, and they came around to announce that this was not controllable work, so they did not want to look at it (but were happy to keep my money).

I managed to dig out some information on the web that contravened what they said, and they have now decided that it is controllable work again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back