manhole advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have been considering an extension for a while now and have just been reading about the private into public sewer changes. This has led me to a mini conundrum. I appreciate the water company are the best people to ask but any ideas would be appreciated.

Basically my planned extension will be built almost up to a boundary and will cross a sewer and be on top of a manhole cover. This sewer and manhole only service my property and so are private. If I'm not mistaken though when my pipe crosses my boundary towards a manhole on my neighbours drive it becomes a public sewer. Because I'd be building so close to the boundary there would be no room to move the manhole. Equally as the pipe becomes public when it crosses the boundary the extension would be within three metres of a public sewer and so the water company would need to be involved. My question is can they object to me building over my private sewer pipe and over my private manhole. The water company's website says that they will not allow internal manholes, however can I presume as mine is private I can do what I want.

I appreciate building over a manhole is questionable anyway but my soil pipe is a straight 5metre run to this neighbours manhole (with my current one in the middle of this run), so I'm presuming if all else fails I could access my pipe from their manhole. Unfortunately to reroot the sewer would be a serious cost.

Is this viable or can the water company stop me?

Sponsored Links
If it is (or you can achieve) a straight line from the manhole in the neighbours property to your stack then that removes the need for the manhole on your property. I dont see there being an issue, especially on a short run of 5m.

Internal manholes are an absolute nightmare, especially now the Water Co.'s are responsible for a lot of them, it isn't surprising they're being frowned upon! Getting access in the event of problems, (with householders that are either out, or pretending to be out (as they know what you want to do!), moving furniture and carpets to access covers, then trying to do what is usually a pretty filthy job, inside someone's home.... At least outside the area can be washed down afterwards.....

Thanks for that. Having had another look the inspection manhole is on a very slow bend, around 140 degrees with then a straight section either side to my soil stack and the neighbours manhole. Is this likely to block up, we've never had any problems over the last 6 years. Am I right in saying this chamber is mine (private) and so I can within reason do what I like with it? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bit too deep to use a small chamber then, immediately outside the building. I would be wary of putting a bend under a building, really needs to be a straight run from the base of the stack to the manhole. You'll have to get Building Regs approval on any drainage works anyway, so might be wise to have a chat with Building Control at the Council and see what they'll permit.

Hi I appreciate what you said about an internal manhole. Are these still accepted in some cases if it is a private pipe or will bco not allow. I can understand how disgusting a solution it may be!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back