What is this in manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me what that round pipe hole is at the top right of this manhole. Is it something shared coming from neighbours drain?

This manhole is on my driveway at the front.
It goes into the garage to back of garage into a manhole. In that manhole it's a private drain as it connects only to my bathroom/kitchen with one connection.

I'm doing a extension behind the garage and ascertaining that I need no build over agreement, after big issues with the builder who already started without determining if a BOA was needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240524_123916_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240524_123916_Gallery.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
How old is the house

Stand back and take a wider pic showing the ground and buildings within at least three metres, and any pipes or drains including the gutter downpipe

And another showing how far away the road and house are

It may be an old ventilator or a yard drain

99% sure that would have gone to a Low Level Vent, situated next to the boundary of the property. Many properties built up to around 1950 were fitted with these, and usually an Interceptor in the Manhole, to seal off the house drains from the main sewer in the road. Possible this one didn't have an interceptor fitted, or it's been removed and piped through at a later date.

Sponsored Links
Could be a vent or a recent botch addition. It doesn't look to have had water down it for years though, it's full of muck.

It's possible that whatever was connected has been chopped off and the open end of the pipe is buried. If so it needs sealing off so it doesn't let muck in and/or create a stink wherever it is.

Try a phone camera on video mode with the light on, see what you can see up it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back