Filling a large hole in living room brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, im new here and was hoping some kind soul could offer me some advice.

I have an old gas wall heater which I am taking out and replacing for electric in my living room. There is a large round hole where the flue pipe was going from the back of the heater through the brickwork and into the outside wall. This about the size of a dinner plate and 15" long and I was wondering what the best way was to fill it.

I dont need to fill the outside part of the wall (If I can avoid it ?) as this is blocked off with a cage, and I thought if I sell the house in the future the person would then have the choice of using gas again if they wish, without having to make a new hole again.

Is there a simple easy way to fill the hole for a diy newbie like me. Someone suggested making a wall of stones first, just behind where the inside wall starts, to block off the hole and then filling the last bit with sand and cement. Is that right ?

Many thanks in advance for any help. Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would remove the gaurd and brick both sides up. Then re-plaster the internal wall and point or render the external wall, depending on the exisiting finish.
I would not leave the external hole there, it will not improve any future sales and could create damp issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back