Filling Cracks near Windows and Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, Just starting to decorate my house. It is about 9 years old and hasn't been decorated from new. There are a few cracks near the windows and doors in a couple of places. I presume these are settling cracks as they are less than 5mm. Just wondered what the best way of filling these gaps? Do I use something like polyfilla or do I need to use something that is flexible. Any help would be much appreciated as I am new to all this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use a tube of acrylic decorators caulk, its flexible enough to withstand further movement..dont use powder or ready-mixed 'solid' fillers - they will crack again as sure as bears s*** in woods ;)

oh dear, two conflicting metods of sorting. The acylic decorators caulk? Will this be in my local B&Q and if so, what are the trade names people would recommend for this. What will it be like to paint over this? I am looking at just using a couple of good coats of emulsion on the wall. Will this cover the decorators caulk or will I need something else. If this decorators caulk is flexible will the finish be as good as using polyfila? I can just imagine something be flexible as not as good for finishing, but being a total beginner I have no idea.

Please help

Sponsored Links
The caulk is ideal for smaller guage cracks , for larger use Red Devil 'Onetime' filer , I use it ever day.
As for Polyfilla (sorry Diyisfun) I never touch it - its harder to rub down than most..Polyfilla caulk is OK though
Best to buy a branded caulk from a trade counter (approx £1.20), the diy (Homebase etc.) stuff is a bit thin.. :evil:

The caulk is ideal for smaller guage cracks , for larger use Red Devil 'Onetime' filer , I use it ever day.
As for Polyfilla (sorry Diyisfun) I never touch it - its harder to rub down than most..Polyfilla caulk is OK though
Best to buy a branded caulk from a trade counter (approx £1.20), the diy (Homebase etc.) stuff is a bit thin.. :evil:

I agree ready mixed is hard stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back