Filling gaps around interior doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a novice, & just about to decorate the hall, stairs, landing. Around some of the door frames are some cracks which need filling. What is the best thing to use?

I have some 'industrial silicone' & some 'door and window frame sealant' here, both in guns - would either of those be suitable? Can they be painted on?

Also, I recently decorated my dining room. There were a few dents & holes in the walls so I filled them with Polyfilla - some using the stuff I had to mix myself, others using ready-mix in a tube. I left them proud & lightly sanded once they were dry & they looked perfectly level, but now the walls have been painted, the filler has sunk into the wall & the dents are just as they were before. Why did this happen & how can I stop it from happening again?

Oh, & hello! :D

Sponsored Links
Use decorators caulk for filling your frame gaps, it will not shrink and can be over painted.

Did you leave your Polyfilla to fully dry before leveling...?

Yeah dont use the silicone for gawds sake :!: paint wont stick to it.
as trazor says decorators caulk olong skirting /trim cracks

Most times the poly will shrink a little.( they say it wont but they all do) I tend to just fill level, then about an hour later just go over the area again with some fresh pollyf scrape it flush and you may find this second application wont shrink or crack and if you'r nifty you wont need to sand it.. ;)

Try to use the powdered interior pollyfila.. not the all purpose.. the interior will sand easier. ready mixed should be avoided exept for any tiny holes.

Hi,

I agree as well. I use decorators caulk for that job and it works a treat. I use water diluted with a touch of washing up liquid to help smooth it all over. Using silicon is a no no as the other poster described. Also decorators caulk doesn't smell of acetic acid so all in all a better choice.

I have been using polyfilla for ages as I am doing up my bungalow and am a bit of a perfectionist (yes I know it takes longer way longer). I usually do a first fill let it dry then do a second fill that is not flush. Allow to dry then sand down with some fine paper. Perfect and I don;t get any shrinkage. Make sure you let it dry fully especially if it's a big hole or indentation.

Cheers

Russell.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your helpful replies. :D

I bought some caulk yesterday & am having fun using it! I also got some more powder Pollyfilla as my previous stuff was very old. Hopefully a new box & your tips will give me a superb finish.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back