Problem with filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We're currently redecorating our house, and have done quite a bit of painting and filling.

Until now we've been using an old filler I brought years ago (Polycell - Multi Purpose Polyfilla). We've been quite successful in filling dents, etc - sanding them down and painting over them.

That ran out so we brought a new filler (Polyfilla - All Purpose). Filled the holes in the second bedroom, sanded them and the wall using a (new) sand head on a pole. Then painted.

Today we've got up and noticed the patches that have been filled are majorly smoother than those that wasn't. This is making the paint look a different colour due to the way the light is reflecting from it. We haven't had this issue in the past.

I'm not really sure how we can proceed from here, or how we can prevent it from happening again? Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Its a difference in texture on the wall. Previous coats of paint have left a heavy texture and where you have filled you've sanded this texture away to a smooth wall. You need to sand the rest of the walls smooth or the problem will never go away. Something that helps is priming the filled areas (after rubbing down) with a mini roller rather than a brush as this matches the orange peel effect most diyer's get from a roller, but in your case you have to rub it all down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back