Filling gaps between plasterboard and floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, (first post)

I need to fit new skirting boards to my house however the plasterer hasnt filled in gaps properly between the floor boards and plasterboard.

Can I use Toupret filler to fill the gaps? Then the skirting can be fitted flush. Otherwise any other product recommendations? And simpler the product the better!

Its a victorian house so dont want any damp issues later.

Thanks,

Attachments

• DIY.jpg
    DIY.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 309
Sponsored Links
The purpose of the skirting is to cover the gap.

What do you mean about fitting the skirting flush? The skirting should sit on the surface of the wall.

The purpose of the skirting is to cover the gap.

What do you mean about fitting the skirting flush? The skirting should sit on the surface of the wall.

Yes, the skirting needs to sit on the wall surface but how would you install the skirting properly if there is a deep gap behind it?

Screw a batten to the wall.

For a superior skirting, stand it against the wall and draw a pencil line along the top on the plaster.

Cut away the plaster from that line down

Fix a batten, same thickness as the plaster or a shade more, to the wall, and another about an inch above the floor

The skirting can be lightly screwed to the battens. If you want to stain or varnish it, use brass screws.

Use filler to tidy the batten/plaster joint.

You can run cables for LAN, phones, aerial, alarm, speakers etc between the battens (but not power cables)

Sponsored Links
get him back to redo the lot. You paid for that?
in fact get someone else to redo it.

Yes, the skirting needs to sit on the wall surface but how would you install the skirting properly if there is a deep gap behind it?
Blow some expanding foam into the gap, let it set, cut flush to plaster with a bread knife. Whatever else you do that plaster on the door lining needs to be chopped back and you'll need to do something to get the architraves to sit flat when you install them - possibly plant some narrow strips of 12mm MDF onto the edges of the lining then fix the architraves through them? Otherwise you'll need to rebate the backs of the architraves but if you do that you'll find that the skirting probably sits proud when fitted. Use low expansion foam to glue your skirting in place in that corner

Last edited by a moderator:
Blow some expanding foam into the gap, ley it set, cut flush to plaster with a bread knife. Whatever else you do that plaster on the door lining needs to be chopped back and you'll need to do something to get the architraves to sit flat whenyou install them - possibly plant some narrow strips of 12mm MDF onto the edges of the lining then fix the architraves through them? Otherwise you'll need to rebate the backs of the architraves but if you do that you'll find that the skirting probably sits proud when fitted. Use low expansion foam to glue your skirting in place in that corner
yep just bodge it more.:LOL:

9 times out of 10 you can't get a plasterer back to correct one of the many "features" that some of your colleagues leave, for love or money. It's a very small length of skirting. The plastering is shocking. I simply offered a pragmatic solution based on having been forced to deal with this sort of issue many, many times.

I'd say that 60 to 70% of the plastered walls I've ever dealt with have bottoms which are out of whack (not plumb at the start of the stroke, like the one on the left in the OP's photo) - which sometimes leads me to favour taping and jointing - at least then the walls are plumb at the bottom. It's just the corner beads which are a pain to deal with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back