plasterboard gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of dot and dabbing my conservatory walls.
The floor is suspended and boarded using 3/4" ply Question is what gap do I leave between the plasterboard and the top of the floor if any (some say 3").
Also how do you fix skirting as their is a gap between plasterboard and wall.
Do you use battens and nail, or just no more nails or do you fix through plasterboard in to block wall with screws?

Sponsored Links
Usually leave 25mm

Use small bits of plasterboard (say a strip 100mm x 200mm , scored on one side and folded in half) on the floor , two or three per board. The board sits on these and you can use a board lifter or bit of timber as a lever in that gap if you nee to wedge it up to the ceiling. You can also use one piece single to give you a 12.5 gap. Use off cuts, and the size doesnt matter too much.

The gap is for two (that I can think of !) purposes . One is for the above, to give you some where to lever the board and secondly, it gives room for the floor and board to expand and contract with heat etc

To fix the skirting you should have solid dabs along the bottom of the board, firsst to give you something to fix to but alos to stop the board pulling in to the wall if you tighten screws in the skirting.

The best way(IMHO) is screw and rawl plug, and plug over the screws with the same timber as the skirting, but you can glue them or nail them or both. A lot of skirting is fixed with paslode fired nails , with glue .

If using gripfill, no nails or similar remember to press it on , take it off and then stick it on again for the glue to work properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back