Filling gaps from old joists on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We demolished our old garage to start our extension before the PP expired. However, it’s left us with gaps in the exterior wall.

It’ll be a while before the build starts so I want to tidy up the wall and fill in the gaps left by the old joists. Eventually they’re will be newer joists but will be higher up on the wall.

I was planing on removing the temp bricks and cutting new bricks to the appropriate size to fill the spaces and then mortar them in...however I was then wondering if there was any benefit/value structurally in removing a few of the half or quarter bricks beside the gaps to fill with whole bricks?

The wall will be in a new garage eventually so not too bothered about the looks.

Thanks
Andy

Ps- I’ve sorted the drainpipe (which caused the damp patch on the wall)

58BBD986-4595-4F49-9783-9B0EE2A51FB5.jpeg

Sponsored Links
kingandy2nd, good evening.

Short answer is yes go for repair as you have posted.

Will the intended repairs be seen in the new Garage? if so then careful "restoration" will be the answer.

Ken

Or in answer to the posted question there will be no benefit in replacing half/quarter bricks will full ones. The wall is in compression so it does not matter what is there as long as it can take the downward forces be there quarter, half or full bricks

Thanks to you both for the quick replies...I will go with my original plan then.

Sponsored Links
Well I don’t think I’ll ever make the grade to be a professional brick layer, but I’ve done the job today :)

Thanks again for the help.

CF774A4A-80A8-4433-B91F-7B878B941D91.jpeg

Fair play, given it’s going to end up being internal that’s more than I’d have bothered to do. Where’s that expanding foam... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back