Filling holes in brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure which area to post this, so i've gone for this one.

The problem is that the old family bathroom, is now the Ensuite. Everything has been moved round, and there are three hole in the brickwork where the sink, toilet and bath were. the partiton wall between the ensuite and the bedroom used to be the external wall, and has the old main soil stack boxed-in in the bedrooom. This is where the loo tied in, but since it has been taken out there is jut the bocken-off pipe in the wall. What would be the best way to seal this (since it's now only the interior wall), ready to plaster over...

Also on the same wall there is the old bath overflow ( about a 2in Dia hole) going out through to the outside wall which needs to be sealed, and also another, hole which had been filled with a pair of tights and some news paper!?!? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: !?! which i discovered when plastering the bedroom.

I was thinking expanding foam for the two smaller 2in holes, then hardwall
over and skim, but would the 4in hole need something a little more creative?

Sponsored Links
i would normally fill all of this nature with mortar (1:5 or 6 with plasticiser). i would fill a bit at a time on the larger holes to prevent cracking. if i felt the hole was a little too big i would cut a piece of blockwork and mortar in.

i like foam though around window frames and know it's used successfully on small holes ie 2". I feel it would be just as good on the 4".

choice is whatever your preference is as both methods are equally good. plaster would also be ok but more fiddly to sort out the cracking on deep fills.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back