Filling in between floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the middle of the sanding / filling / sealing process for an old traditional boarded floor (i.e. not interlocking planks) and are trying to work out the best way to fill in some of the many gaps between boards. For the wider ones we've inserted some thin beading, but there are others that are still very wide but too narrow for that. I've heard recommended mixing up our sawdust with the varnish and inserting that - but frankly that sounds like a messy nightmare ! There don't seem to be any commercial products on B&Q's shelves (most of the wood fillers specify 'not for between floorboards') but unhelpfully don't recommend anything else. Any ideas ? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Filling gaps between boards without T&G is a continuous job: due to the natural seasonal movement the filling will eventually just fall into the void underneath.

Lift the boards and push them so they are tighter together ?

I've also been told stories of peeps doing a 1st run with the sander then mixing PVA and some saw dust and using the mix as a filler.

Lift the boards and push them so they are tighter together ?

I've also been told stories of peeps doing a 1st run with the sander then mixing PVA and some saw dust and using the mix as a filler.

I've done the mixing the dust with PVA thing and its ok for small areas. Not for long runs though.

TBH, once you've gone to the hassle of sanding the old boards and filling the gaps it would have been easier to lift the boards, refit without the gaps and then put in a new board.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Have used a combination of cleaning the inside edges very thoroughly and sanding them, a PVA-based compound which is meant to be flexible, topped by a wood filler. I'll let you know in 6 months if its still there. !

And yes it would have probably been easier to move all the floorboards !

And if you'd lifted them to move them over........... you could have turned them over and had near 'new' wood requiring hardly any finishing.

:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back