Filling in painted walls - hairline cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so nearly a year later i'm so ready for a nervous breakdown about my walls.
Jan2013: reskimmd over old plaster that i had fillered - no cracks in filler before it was skimmed. Reskimmed dried out, not as many cracks as i begun with, left it for just under 2months to proper dry out and filled in.
Last week monday: decorated, all the previous cracks where filled and hadnt cracked again, plaster sealer and matt paint.
Last week friday: faint hairline cracks have appeared where i last filled in, you dont notice them unless you are right in front of them.
Today: cracks are very noticeable almost jaggered and looks as if they could come out of the wall.

Ok so i know itll proberly be the walls moving and yes i did expect to get cracks back in some year but SOME YEARS not the next week, i cant understand why they have appeared, all that time with the filler in and no cracks and i really dont want to have to get the decorators back out to line and paint again. The ony thing i can think of is that they sanded the walls down too well and took of a layer of filler.
Is there a way of filling the cracks without ruining the paintwork so i can just put a line of paint over a new filler?
Ok ive put pics up of the same wall but you'll need your glasses haha
-k-

Sponsored Links
What condition were the walls that you filled in and plastered. I guess the basecoat was starting to fail and decay and really should have removed rather than filled and skimmed. Unfortunately without using a heavy duty paint I doubt the cracks will ever stay away for long.

Base plaster didnt sound hollow but had loads of cracks which i filled in, reskim is sound as well, i just find it weird how much time between filling in the cracks to having the decorators in and no cracks appeared in the filler.

Sponsored Links
Base plaster didnt sound hollow but had loads of cracks which i filled in, reskim is sound as well, i just find it weird how much time between filling in the cracks to having the decorators in and no cracks appeared in the filler.
If you have a load of cracks on the wall and just fill them then when you skim over them they will come back. You need to cover the cracks with scrim tape and either unibond them or put sbr over them and do the wall at the same time. When you come to skim the wall put on another coat of unibond let it go "tacky" then skim ....I have heard the lads talk about "Blue Grit " which you can paint on then skim on it when its dry, but I have never used it so one of the lads might advise you on that.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back