filling joints in parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to sand our newly renovated herringbone parquet floor ready for finishing.
We've purchased 2 litres of 'Ball Styccobond Wood Filler Base', and intend to mix with wood dust from the final sanding (as advised by your experts).
The directions on the can says to 'Apply the mix to joints with a palette knife ensuring the filling is well bedded in'.
This will take forever and the 'working time' is only 15 minutes.
We have 20 square metres to cover, will it be okay to spread the mix over the whole surface as one would when grouting tiles, and then sand when it's dry?
And have we bought the correct stuff?

Sponsored Links
Don't attempt to put in the filler mix until you have sanded the floor off to a minimum of a 60grit finish, if you don't 'flat' the floor off it will be murder to fill all the joints properly as it will probably be quite uneven.

The floor will need sanding/screening after to remove the filler residues, when applying the filler, scrape off as much excess as possible otherwise it can be like sanding concrete, it goes off very hard....

I've never used Ball Styccobond, but would think it mixes with dust ?? dunno i may be wrong on that, give the instructions a good read....but you will have to mix many batches of the dust/resin mix up, its a laborious part of the process but well worth doing for a much better all round finish to your floor.

A pallette knife will take forever, buy as wide a scraper as you can find, b&q do a decent 4-5" one for about £5, i personally use a 10" wide scraper and even with the pro kit its a pain and can take ages....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back