Made a mistake filling our parquet floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just spend all weekend sanding a old parquet floor in our hallway and was looking great. Then took the clean sanding dust and mixed with PVA (as advised by our building when we were chatting about restoring the floor) to grout the gaps. Looked ok if a bit dirty and then left to dry overnight. Now having a nightmare sanding it off as its leaving grey stains on the blocks. Have read lots of other messages about parquet and realise now we should have used wood filler.

Any advice how to remove stains or is it just back to coarse sanding etc .

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Olympia - there's a difference between glue drying and a glue hardening. As you left the PVA overnight to dry and then started to sand again I suspect you ended-up smearing glue (it hadn't hardened and was puddled in the gaps) across the blocks. I'd suggest you checkout the hardening time on the label of your particular brand of PVA for hardening time then re-sand.

you should never mix pva and saw dust. it ends up going turning black especially if your using oil on your floor, the oil would turn it jet black.
typical builder always ask a professional floor layer for advice never a builder

Thanks for reply. Yes you're right it did go black! Am now spot filling with sawdust and wood filler and its so much better. So are you implying that I should definitely use a varnish to finish and not a wax finish?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
i personaly dont like varnish on parquet flooring...It depends on the wood if it is dark wood i would always go for a wax oil for looks.. A hard wax oil has a slitly better wear level than normal wax oil but doesn,t lift the look of the floor as much

You would probably better going with the hardwax oil, giving that it is easy to applicate and get right

Thanks.

Just one more question! We have now got a light 'blonde' colour that we really like. Will hardwax oil maintain this look? Just don't want to go orangey.

Thanks for help

Thanks.

Just one more question! We have now got a light 'blonde' colour that we really like. Will hardwax oil maintain this look? Just don't want to go orangey.

Thanks for help

i take it the floor is oak. if it is it will go a light yellow once the hardwax oil goes on it. if you run a damp rag over a small area it will be a good indication if what the finish{colour} will look like. If you want the floor to look like how it is now with out any finish on it (the bare wood) you can achieve this with timberex extra white oil. ive had great succes with this product on oak plank but haven,t tried it on parquet floor as yet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back