What to finish parquet floor with

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sanded down my 60's parquet floor in my hallway. What is the best thing to finish it off with? I have heard about hardwax oil, or should I use varnish or laquer?

I don't want to stain the floor and am looking for a matt finish that will bring out the natural colour and grain of the wood.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
It looks the colour of oak when sanded back, but before sanding it was a dark brown, and when I wipe it with damp cloth it goes back to the dark brown, so I think it may be something tropical.

Its a real shame as I love the color as it is. Would it be possible to just wax the floor and keep its colour as it is now, when sanded back? Would the oil make it go dark again?

Hi Caline
Sounds like you need a product called Bona Naturale.
It's a lacquer not an oil, but very matt and is designed not to change the colour of the wood.
Phone them, I am sure they will send a sample.
TT

Sponsored Links
Every wood species that is sanded bare will turn darker when a clear finish - be it hardwaxoil, oil or varnish - is applied to it - that's nature. It will also mature over time, like Oak gets more honey coloured, tropical red species brown up to even black.

All about the maturing of wood

Only adding a colour to the oil or varnish could make the wood change its colour (a bit), but especially with tropical species IMHO would be a shame.

I have sanded down my 60's parquet floor in my hallway. What is the best thing to finish it off with? I have heard about hardwax oil, or should I use varnish or laquer?

I don't want to stain the floor and am looking for a matt finish that will bring out the natural colour and grain of the wood.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Caroline,

Can I suggest you consider Polyx Oil from OSMO, its a mixture of natural oils and waxes and can simply be applied by brushing on 2 coats. This product is very successful and is sold world wide. Its easy to use and maintain. If you need a brochure feel free to contact me or the OSMO office 01296 481220. Best wishes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back