Filling the cavity around windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help.

We've recently had double-glazing put into our 1905 stone built house. The windows were fitted and screwed into the recess using timber, and there still a large cavity either side behind where the existing wood work meets the window and goes into the wall (and in places it was about 6 cm void). The fitters were going to cover/close it up with architrave. I questioned this saying that that would provide no insulation at all. They then admitted that they had run out of foam.

They returned the next day, but instead of foaming the gaps they stuffed them full of insulation fibre (looked like the stuff you use in roofs), and then sealed with architrave.

My question is; is this standard/good practice for double glazing installations - or should the voids have been fully foamed?

thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back