filling wire chasing gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently had my kitchen rewired and a few new sockets and switches fitted. Now the electrician has finished I am left with lots of gaps where the wire has been chased into the plasterboard. Can someone please advice me on the best way to fill these? The last thing i want is the plaster dropping off the walls when i start cooking.
Many thanks
Tilly :confused:

Sponsored Links
Presumably the electrician has covered the cable with metal capping. then Bonding plaster can be applied to the chase leaving it about 5mm below the rest of the wall surface and then finished with finishing plaster. It is advisable to apply diluted PVA to the chase to stop the new plaster drying out too quickly and cracking.

:)

I can plaster well but for cable chases I still prefer to fill about 5mm low with bonding coat then use polyfilla to bring the level up. It sands better, is quicker and easier IMHO

Hi Tilly,
Are these holes cut into a plasterboard wall to feed the cables down and through, or chases cut into brick/blockwork? ( You refer to "gaps where the wire has been chased into the plasterboard."????)

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

thanks to all of you for your replies. There is no metal capping on wires just bare grey cable - do I need this?

Wires are chased into plaster board not brickwork.

Thanks again
Tilly :confused:

why, or more interestingly, how has the plasterboard been cased?

Surely the wires would have been run behind the plasterboard as it 's only going to be 12.5mm thick maximum? :confused: thats not much left once the cable is buried...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back