Filon dry valley rubber end closures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I’m using Filon V-Flow GRP dry valley trays (the ones with the 110mn central upstands) on two valleys that meet at the top of a ridge line.

The Filon system includes rubber end trays that allow closing off the bottom of the valley tray, and to act as flashing where they meet at the tops. This is the one for where they meet at the top:

However, I can’t quite get it to sit right. The rubber seems too thick and the way it sits it has a bit of a mind of its own... difficult to explain but there’s the odd gap where it floats up by 5 or 10mm. I don’t really expect it to be a super-snug fit but worry about wind driven rain.

Should it be glued down to the trays in some way, or is the odd uplift okay on the basis that I’ll be covering it with a weight of tiles and ridge tiles and it’ll relax in to place with a few heat cycles?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi did you ever get this sorted as i am just thinking about using the filon closers. Any good?

Use a 450mm x 450mm lead saddle at the ridge and a same size soaker at the bottom.

They were better when they had the weight of the tiles on them, but were never visually prefect. The lap sizes were huge though so I'm sure they'll never leak.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Garyo. I haven't ordered mine yet. I still can't get my head around why the closures are a different colour to the trays - black I think compared to gray for the trays?? - I'll call filon about this tomorrow.

I'm also not sure about the the detail for finishing off the dry ridge at the point where it meets the top of the valley's - again there's not much info around on this and Redland are pretty vague as well.

Thanks for the lead saddle advice Noseyall, that was going to be my initial plan but the closures just sounded like a good idea.

I fitted them without glue or sealant and left them. 90% of the fitting is hidden by the tile overhangs, and being up at ridge level it's barely noticeable. I've not looked closely to examine whether it's relaxed with age and settled in to place, but certainly no leaks, but you don't know until you get some wind driven rain at exactly the right angle, and that could take years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back