Final Bathroom Questions (Hopefully)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, Hope to complete the bathroom stuff this weekend, just a few final questions....Hopefully !!! :rolleyes:

The Old shower cable is not long enough for where the new one is going to be located.... ie, the cable from the switch to the shower. Is it ok for me to replace that linko f cable? Is there any maximum distance from ceiling switch to shower Unit?

Extractor fan upon inspection has no earth, im replacing it anyway, it gets its feed from the double pole shower switch, and currently is wired with 1mm cable..... will I be ok to use 1.5, or 2.5mm to wire in the new one?

To keep the Earthing going, where there have been plastic pipe fittings used, ive created bypass earth 4mm2 links... I assume these or the norm?

Im using a 4mm2 earth for bonding, Ive run a spare earth from the Shower switch, and from the extractor fan, to an Earth block.... the block is then linked to its nearest copper pipe in the airing cupboard...again i think this is ok, but worth checking....

Having already the Shower switch bonded, do I, or should i run an earth from the showers internal earth to it cold water feed pipe? if so is there any recommended distance from showers earth to pipe where i should be bonding? I was thinking of running the cable in the wall channel next to the pipe, so i can bond it under the bath???

Many thanks...

Im sure if i think of anything else, ill be back with more....

Sponsored Links
Is there any maximum distance from ceiling switch to shower Unit?

In a normal house type bathroom you will not contravene any of the requirements relating to cable length no matter where you put the various elements.

Extractor fan upon inspection has no earth

Having no earth to the fan is not a problem if it is class 2 equipment that doesn't need an earth. Bear in mind, if yournew fan does require an earth it must have on fitted. Also, that if the new model is intended to have an overrun timer facility, you'll need a 3 pole isolator switch and an extra live feed.

currently is wired with 1mm cable..... will I be ok to use 1.5, or 2.5mm to wire in the new one?
You can use either, the larger the cable size, the less maleable, though, and the more you risk being able to get it into the connections properly. I'd stick to the 1.5mm if I were you, though, if the lighting radial itself, is wired in 1mm, I'd try to maintain the size of cable throughout the cct.

To keep the Earthing going, where there have been plastic pipe fittings used, ive created bypass earth 4mm2 links... I assume these or the norm?
I'm slightly mystified here. If there are plastic pipes serving the bathroom, the metal fittings may well not be extraneous conductive parts so may not need bonding. You'd have to elaborate here a bit for me to give you an answer.

Im using a 4mm2 earth for bonding, Ive run a spare earth from the Shower switch, and from the extractor fan, to an Earth block.... the block is then linked to its nearest copper pipe in the airing cupboard
Good as far as it goes. If the water pipes are extraneous conductive parts, you must also bond them into this system (usually by bonding pipe to pipe at or near the same point). If they are not ECP's then you don't need this bonding.
http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf
This link leads to the NIC leaflet on this subject. Give it a read then come back if questions remain.

Having already the Shower switch bonded, do I, or should i run an earth from the showers internal earth to it cold water feed pipe?
No, you are allowed to consider the shower cables CPC as part of the bonding system bonding the switch to the unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back