Bonding in the bathroom...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it acceptable to use 10mm2 earth cable for bathroom bonding between pipes and the shower etc? Will I just run into problems fitting it in some of the earth terminals?

I have a reel of 10mm2 in the shed is the only reason I am asking, if its not acceptable or going to be hassle I will just buy some 4mm2 and use that instead!

Sponsored Links
You could use 10mm² if you want to, as there is no maximum size in the regs (only a minimum).

You should be ok when connecting to the earth clamps, but you will struggle at the shower (Especially if you have 2 ends) and also where you connect to the lighting circuit, and power / immersion circuit if applicable.

You would be better off using 4.0mm² TBH, even if it is just to make your life easier :)

4mm it is then :)

Another quick q...

The bathroom backs onto the airing cupboard. Presumably if the CH pipe work is bonded in the airing cupboard to the cold and hot 22mm copper water supplies I dont need to bond the rad tails to the hot and cold supplies in the bathroom as well?

You need to bond each pipe to the cpc of every circuit feeding the bathroom. If that can be done in the airing cupboard (at least for the pipes) then that is acceptable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back