Final peice of advice needed - room stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I posted yesterday re problem with my room stat not working. Various members were very helpful - so thanks again.

I've got to the bottom of the problem now - it is definitely a faulty room thermostat.

I was incorrect yesterday when I said there was no power going to the stat - there was, so apologies for duff info.

Tests I have now done:

Suspecting the faulty stat I switched the heating on with the stat in situ. Boiler fires and will not switch off no matter how low the stat temp. I then remove the stat from the wall thus breaking the circuit. Boiler goes off.

I can achieve the same effect by manually joining the LIVE to the CALL - this switches the boiler ON. Then disconnect the two wires and it goes OFF.

So, on that basis I have ordered a new room stat. I went for a battery operated programmable one from Horstmann. It only has 2 wires - presumably LIVE and CALL.

My final questions:

Is my analysis correct / make sense

When I wire in the new stat, what do I do with the old NEUTRAL and EARTH. My existing stat has L, N and E in and a CALL out. Do I just multiblock them off?

Thanks so much for all your help,

Ed

Sponsored Links
Golfer1 said:
Is my analysis correct / make sense
Probably / yes.

When I wire in the new stat, what do I do with the old NEUTRAL and EARTH. My existing stat has L, N and E in and a CALL out. Do I just multiblock them off?
Yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back