Finally got boiler fixed!!!!!----BROKE AGAIN ALREADY!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my heating fixed again this year. Nearly every year something goes wrong on it. This time it was the pump.On friday i noticed the rads were cold so i checked the pilot and it was still on so i though it was strange. I checked the tap and that too ran cold. I checked the manual and the flow chart showed a broken or stuck pump. I gave it a whack and it came back on but cut out again the next day.On saturday i rang a gas man and he said yes i can do it-150 quid and two weeks on monday!! I found the card off my usual guy but he's off on holiday so he put me in touch with who is covering for him. He came out with a new grunfos pump which didnt fit so he tried a few suppliers and they all said new year at earliest as its special order. He found one round the corner with one so went and picked it up, came back and fitted just the head as the entire thing is no longer avalable.Ten minutes later and the heating is loads better, boiler is quieter and the water has never had such a good flow or be as hot as it is now. We might actually get a proper hot bath instead of a luke warm one. All this over christmas and it only cost 120 quid, not bad id say for calling him on the saturday and getting in first thing monday morning. The guy he is covering for would have had the pump needed in his own van but hes got the keys with him. Im just glad someone could come out and sort it so quickly at this time of year.

Sponsored Links
To all those who wondered it was a CP53 on a Sime Unfriendly!

We would have charged £149 but would usually have come the same day.

So the £120 was pretty cheap.

The system water is probably dirty causing the pumps to get jammed up. They are quite easy to unjam bu turning the big black knob. See FAQ on this site.

Tony

CP53 `s seem to have shot up in price £65 thought they where less than 40 quid

With the pump out it sticks as it spins round. The water was pretty dark that came out the pump. The system has been cleaned with fernox, i think, then refilled with inhibitor.Guess it didnt get everything out. The boiler seems to work ok with giving hot water when everything works fine, might not have to buy a new boiler yet. It only takes seconds now for the water to get hot at the taps instead of nearly two minutes before hand.Even on just half water temp it gets too hot to keep your hand under it.

Sponsored Links
CP53 `s seem to have shot up in price £65 thought they where less than 40 quid

I have noticed that at some suppliers too.

Ditch Plumbase and get them at BES in future, buying in 5s.

Tony

Too much experience with them from BG days would never ever fit a myson cp53/63 (unlees special to a boiler) absolute pile of sh#te took BG various department long enough to finally realise it was costing the company a fortune no matter how cheap they got them

Too much experience with them from BG days would never ever fit a myson cp53/63 (unlees special to a boiler) absolute pile of sh#te took BG various department long enough to finally realise it was costing the company a fortune no matter how cheap they got them

Couldn't agree more. I was coerced into trying them a few years back. Out of 4 I tried 3 were faulty out of the box :rolleyes:

Never bothered with them after that.

The pump came in a box marked 'ideal' not sime.i think we had the pump replaced two years ago but im not too sure, it might have been replaced with a dodgy one then as this one has made a big difference to the performance of the boiler.

Seems the boiler isnt fixed properly now. Left the heating on low over the past few days to prevent freezing while we were on holiday and came back to a cold house. I checked the pilot and it was on so i checked the pressure and it had dropped to below 1bar.I took the cover off expecting a leak from the new pump and its not, its leaking from the main body of the boiler and escaping through the gap at the bottom where the thin pipes enter the body, i think its the thermocouple pipe that its dripping round. What could be leaking in there? The gas man is coming in tomorrow morning to check it out but id just like to know a bit about it beforehand.Could the new pump have blown an old seal? Boiler is a Sime Friendly (Not).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back