Finding a 4.5 inch backset mortice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any idea where I can source some 4.5 inch / 114mm backset mortice locks for internal doors?

I've had all the doors stripped and we want to replace the mortices and misc door furniture.

Struggling to find a 4.5 inch backset.

Closest I can find is a 4.2 inch (108mm)...

Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you do mean backset? not case size?

is it a vertical
156391.jpg
sashlock?

or a horizontal
785471.jpg
sashlock?

or just a latch?
341584.jpg
731188.jpg

ah, those are quite small cases

the imperial case would be too big. But you could chisel out the mortice

the Union has only 101.5mm backset

I have some other brand here I will look at.

I think a modern case size to fit will probably be 5-inch with a 4 1/2" knob backset (about)
like https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...-case-38-1015mm-backset-polished-brass-850745

A bathroom sashlock is very handy for bathrooms and bedrooms as it gives privacy

you may have to get the nearest readily available, and use the knob rose to hide the old marks on the door. Are you going to paint it?

Sponsored Links
Imperial 3011 also only 102mm

Looks to me like they have all metricated a 4-inch backset.

And you want 4 1/2"

There is not a lot of call for horizontal sashlocks these days.

Are you going to paint it?
Yes. While the doors look great with the 100yrs and 7 layers of gloss removed, we will paint them.

you may have to get the nearest readily available, and use the knob rose to hide the old marks on the door
I think so. Luckily the brass roses are large and salvagable.

There is not a lot of call for horizontal sashlocks these days
Indeed! Old and large doors. Each of the 10 are a slightly different size. Had to make my own door casing when moving the wc entrance. Nothing in this house is a standard size, although, part of the charm.

I have two cases of new, old stock, Imperial horizontal mortice latch G4055, brass faceplate, full size 151mm case if you're interested. Each is new in plastic wrapper, but the outers are shabby and dusty. Total 11 latches.

measured by hand, I make the backset about 126mm.

the tech spec says 127mm, so is probably more precise.

I think they usually retail at around £27. You say you want ten, you can have them for £90 plus postage, and I'll throw in the eleventh as a spare.

I don't know what carriage will be, as you can imagine it is quite a heavy box.

Hi JohnD,

Thank you for the kind offer. I think these aren't for me. On closer examination, its going to be less work for a smaller backset.

Appreciate the offer though

Try a Union 2077 or 2026 five inch 127mm, or the Fulham.

Prices vary a lot.

If I can find the box the Fulhams came in, the manufacturers name may be different.

The bathroom version is very handy for bedrooms as well as bathrooms.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back