Replacing an odd sized front door mortice lock.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I will be grateful for your help in trying to replace an old front door mortice lock.
There are no markings on the lock & it measures 149mm/ 6 inches but the bracket is about 40 mm.
Ones I can see online have a backset if around 51-52 mm.
I am attaching the pictures of the lock with measurements & will be grateful for any ideas on trying to replace it.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20240215_190624.jpg
    20240215_190624.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240215_173918.jpg
    20240215_173918.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240215_173848.jpg
    20240215_173848.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240215_173827.jpg
    20240215_173827.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240215_173820.jpg
    20240215_173820.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
It is a 6-inch Victorian Horizontal Sashlock

I used to have a house (actually Edwardian) with those, and am very fond of them. I bought some for restoration (not quite as old) from the warehouse clearance of a old London family business, though I think mine are five-inch. Modern replicas are still made for restorers.

If I have spare time, I will look and see what I have.

The 3G115 is not the correct replacement.

Your lock is clearly made to Imperial measurements, the case is six inch and the knob backset is four inch. I can't make out the keyhole backset, it will be to a quarter-inch or possibly an eighth.

There is a Chubb lock that is much better quality, and incredibly expensive retail, but is suitable for the front or external door of a church or other grand old building. It is thicker and generally bigger and more heavily built than the simple "bedroom door" lock in your pics. I have one on one of my doors. It is the 3J60

P.s.

If you goggle for "Horizontal Sashlock" you will find ads, mostly for modern replicas. Three lever is adequate for internal locks, and much more secure than your old one, which is warded and probably has just one tumbler. You might need to shave out the mortice as they are a bit thicker. Check the measurements before purchase. There may be slight differences in heyhole and knob spindle position.

It is important to know that because the mortice is so large, they will weaken the door, and are unsuitable for most doors. They must not be fitted at the rail height of most panelled doors (where they look best) because you would cut away the tenon that holds the door together.

They can be fitted in some fire doors that are thick and made of monolithic pressed chipboard or other material with no tenons. I do not know if this would remove their fire rating.

Sponsored Links
P.s.

I also have some horizontal sash latches. The same size but they take a knob spindle only, there is no keyhole or locking action.

Note that these locks should have knobs, never lever doorhandles. Some older styles have a T handle.

I just measured some of my stock

I have 6 inch cases, with 5 inch backset to knob spindle and 2 inch to keyhole

Modern replacements with 100mm knob and about 44mm to keyhole

Some others are in a crate somewhere, I think they are Legge.

I think this one (with 5 inch case) might suit. Look at the dimensioned drawing.

I may have some at a better price.

A cheaper alternative would be to fit a modern BS deadlock with a keyhole backset close to existing

And a long Tubular Mortice Latch above, with the knob, in a new hole

Probably glue and pin a wooden block in the back of the existing mortice to add a little strength

Tubular latches are easy to get and install

The yellow-cased Altro brand have a very nice action and seem solidly built

JohnD... Thanks for identifying the lock. I didn't measure the thickness. I will take it out & measure it.
I will go through the options you mentioned & get back to you.
Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back