Motrice lock recommendation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Wooden external doors in wooden frames. Doors are 45 mm thick and have never been fitted with locks. (just cheapo surface mount night latches only)

The stop is 15 mm and the stile is 83 mm wide on the front. The rear is a solid door w/15 mm stop.

I'm after two mortice deadlocks (sash locks preferred unless there's a reason not to?), keyed alike, that'll keep the house insurers happy. (the frame will give way before any lock, though I'd just sling a brick/broken spark plug through the patio doors myself)

These are a temporary measure until such a time as the house is extended/doors are replaced with decent ones. I'll be posting to an acquaintances work address and fitting myself.

Any reason not to use these?

http://www.uk-locks.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d54_locks_keyed_alike.html

http://www.uk-locks.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d45_Mortice_Sashlocks.html

http://www.era-security.com/media/downloads/british-standard-fortress-mortice-lock---1357909802.pdf

Would you order the 'random key' versions and have a local locksmith switch the levers out, or is it best to order keyed-alike from the supplier?

Would you use the "2.5 inch" lock with 44 mm backset, or the "3 inch" lock with 56 mm backset?

Thanks,

--
Marko

Sponsored Links
Buy them from a place that will supply keyed alike and with extra keys.

The Union was a Which best buy but your link shiws ERA at a very giod price.

It is more usual to have a deadlock plus a nightlatch on the front door rather than a sashlock. The back door should have mortice rackbolts top and bottom.

2.5" is ok. 3" is needed if you have knobs rather than lever handles.

Thanks JohnD; ordered.

I've got lodgers so didn't want a nightlatch on the front door. (IME where there is a nightlatch I guarantee that it'll be the only thing used to "lock" the door whereas having the mortice sashlock/deadlock forces you to lock it properly)

Will pick up some rackbolts (keyed the same as the patio door rackbolts) too.

Cheers,

--
Marko

Some people, with a sashlock, just pull it shut and use the latch and handle. Even worse than a nightlatch.

You can get a BS nightlatch which is quite strong.

Sponsored Links
Should the day come where I find that, I'll pull the latch/bar between the handles out and shove them where the sun doesn't shine... ;)

Insurance is invalid with a nightlatch - as far as they're concerned it's the same as pulling a door shut on the latch without locking it - hence trying to force people to use the mortice deadlock.

Saves me locking my stupid self out too. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back