Finding an oven that will fit an existing gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'd like to replace an Ikea/Whirlwind single electric oven.

The width of the front is about 60cm but this is just the front panel and overlaps the frame of the supporting kitchen cabinet. The body of the oven is smaller, just 54cm wide.

I guess this is a usual thing for single ovens.

But most of the ovens I'm looking at online seem to just mention the wider width measurement, and obviously I'm worried about buying one and then it doesn't fit. Other have a tech drawing but show the width as 56cm at least.

The gap in the cabinet is 55.8cm wide so a bit under 56cm.

So do I have a very unusually narrow oven and the builders built a too narrow gap in the cabinet or are ovens a standard width and the measurements given are a bit over.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Jack,
In answer to your question, "do I have a very unusually narrow oven and the builders built a too narrow gap in the cabinet or are ovens a standard width and the measurements given are a bit over" I am not sure.

But I believe that a normal cabinet is 600mm wide, where the oven front is 600mm wide overlapping the frame of the cabinet. But in my kitchen the MDF that makes up the walls of the cabinet is 18mm thick. So the gap for the oven body in a normal 600mm cabinet are should be 600mm-18mm-18mm= 564mm. So there is then a 56.4cm gap for the 56cm oven from your technical drawing.

So my question back to you is, does your 600mm wide cabinet use wood thicker than the normal 18mm MDF as your measurements suggest the MDF/wood that makes up the walls of your oven cabinet is ((600mm-558mm)/2)= 21mm thick?

SFK

Last edited:
Hi there,

I thought the builders had made a custom size and not actually used a standard cabinet.

But I see your point, especially since there is a Ikea drawer below the oven. It really should be a standard size shouldn't it?

I will take another look with this in mind when I get home, and see what's going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back