Finding joists/stud walls etc.........what is the best way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are going to attempt to put up a large but not overly heavy blind in out bay window and we do know the ceiling is plaster board fixed to ceiling joists but we are having issue finding the joists with out stud detector. From what i have read alot of people say stud detectors are a waste of time, so i wondered are there any tried and tested methods out there for locating these joists that actual work.

Also is there such a method for locating the wooden batons through a lath and plaster wall to put up a shower curtain rail.

Help in the constructive form would be great and much appreciated.

Mandy :confused:

Sponsored Links
Never found a stud finder to do anything for me. As for finding studs in the ceiling, you can do a number of things, ascertain which way the joists go in your house, easier on older houses as they run perpendicular to the floor boards. tap along the ceiling across the joists and it will sound hollower between them and then more solid as you approach the joist. put a thin bradawl through the plasterboard to ensure its into the timber, it will push easily through the plasterboard and also be a very small hole to fill should you get it wrong.

We ALWAYS use the tap-tap acoustic method first and foremost with plaster-boarded studs. It is quite reliable and simple to do.

However this method is not quite so good with L&P walls as the resonance is absorbed so the acoustics ain't quite so good. If you do happen to find a stud assume that the centres will likely be either 16" or 18".

Sponsored Links
Here is my personal tip. A strong magnet will hold to any screw or nail heads that where used to hold the plasterboard to the studs. I find the ones fresh out of an old hard drive are the best, strong enough to bite your fingers off if you are not careful, stick to the nails/screws well and are cheap (aka free). Failing that the ones you get for childproofing kitchen cupboards also work well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back