Fixing curtain rail to ceiling in bay - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix a curtain rail to a lath and plaster ceiling (1930s semi) in a bay window.

I've made a wooden batten to follow the profile of the window cill below, to which I planned to attach the curtain rail. Problem is I'm struggling to locate the ceiling joists to fix it to. I assume there must be some, but the ceiling drops slightly in the window reveal, so it's more like a false ceiling beneath the bay roof, if that makes sense.

I have no idea whether the lath and plaster on its own would be strong enough to support the curtains, nor what type of fixings to use.

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Sponsored Links
Keep looking for those joists. Relying on laths is not a great idea.

Thanks - I figured as much. I assume there must definitely be joists there? The bay is very similar to the one detailed here...

//www.diynot.com/forums/genera...window-with-a-flat-roof-and-no-lintel.294127/

The difference being that ours is a single storey sloping roof over the bay. As they're not supporting a floor above, are the joist still likely to be at 400 - 600mm intervals, as they are in the main lounge ceiling?

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit new to this and have no idea what sort of structure I could expect to find within the drop ceiling!

Update:

Looks like we're in business! Managed to find the first two joists in the bay last night by drilling and poking around with a wire coathanger. They seem to be at 16" centres - is this typical of a house this age? Hope to locate the rest of them tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Tom

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back